The best wines for your Easter meal can be tricky. Even if you’re relatively confident creating strong wine pairings throughout the year, Easter celebration meals can still feel a bit intimidating. This especially holds true if traditional Easter meats like lamb and honey-baked ham aren’t your typical fare on other occasions. The fact that so many Easter meals tend to be brunches or lunches doesn’t simplify matters, either. Fortunately, it’s easier than you might think to pull together all these threads to create a spectacular tapestry.
Elevating Your Easter Meal with the Perfect Wines
While Easter food traditions are as unique as the people who hold them dear, there are a few dishes commonly associated with the spring celebration. Some, like deviled eggs, can be notoriously daunting to pair. Here’s a quick and dirty guide to pairing these traditional foods with ease.
- Glazed ham – A delectable combination of salty and sweet, glazed ham calls for a low-tannin, high-acidity red.
- Rack of lamb – If a rack of lamb is the star of your table, a full-bodied, tannic red should be the supporting actor. Lamb’s strong flavors are surprisingly well-complemented by fruitier reds, as they don’t compete for center stage but do enhance the flavor.
- Deviled eggs – Pairing wine with eggs never feels like an easy task, but it doesn’t have to be as complicated as it seems. The creamy, seasoned yolks of deviled eggs play well with bubbly, acidic and fruity whites; don’t be afraid to experiment.
- Roasted vegetables – Roasted root vegetables like potato, carrot and beet are staples of the Easter table, and pairing them is as simple as reaching for your favorite clean, crisp white.
- Peas with mint – Mint is another of those flavors that can feel tricky, but a lemony white wine more than rises to the occasion.
Setting the Perfect Easter Table with a Variety of Wines
You could spend hours meticulously poring over bottles at your nearest wine store, or you can order exactly what you want online and have it delivered to your door. Because Easter meals tend to be large in scope, procuring all your ingredients and preparing all those dishes is enough labor for a one-holiday gathering. If you’re looking to perfect your Easter menu without trekking all over town, Timber Hill Winery’s wide range of offerings is available online and hits all the right notes.